So, you’re looking for a place to rent in Reno Nevada?
As you’ve already seen… there are a lot of options in the Reno area for housing.
All the way from apartments in Reno to rental houses in Reno… condos… mobile homes, and more.
But if you’re struggling to decide if you want to rent an apartment or a house… check out our tips below on the “pros and cons” of renting a local apartment vs. the pros and cons of renting a local house
Renting An Apartment vs Renting A House in Reno Nevada
Renting A Reno Nevada Apartment –
There are lots of great apartments in the Reno Nevada Area.
You’ve probably found new apartment complexes with all kinds of amenities like a swimming pool, gym, rec area, and all kinds of other perks.
And you’ve probably come across some bare-bones apartments that just gave you 4 walls and not much else.
So here are some Pros for renting local apartments:
- Often rent is cheaper with an apartment vs. renting a house ( although rental prices are starting to surpass what a mortgage payment would be)
- Sometimes some services are included in your rent (trash, water, etc.)
- Maintenance is 100% taken care of by the management (if you’re in a bigger complex, usually the maintenance person is on-site and can repair things quickly)
- Sometimes there are more apartment units available than houses you want
- Amenities are often included like rec rooms, gyms, pools, and more.
- Sometimes there is free wifi.
Here are some Cons of renting local apartments:
– You have neighbors sharing walls with you (sometimes on 3 sides of you)
– The stairs: If you get an upstairs apartment it can be a pain getting your furniture in and out
– Parking lot dings: If you’ve lived in a large apartment complex where you’re parking in a shared parking lot… you’ve likely experienced a ding or two from your neighbors on your car.
– Usually, you don’t get a yard that is just for you (if you do, it’s usually very very small)
So what about renting a house in Reno Nevada?
Here are some Pros for renting local houses:
- You usually get more space than an apartment (and more privacy)
- You don’t share walls with your neighbors
- You get the feeling of living in a home rather than a temporary apartment
- Usually, the neighborhoods are full of other houses and feel more like a real neighborhood… rather than a complex of apartments
- Often times many utilities are paid for
Here are some Cons for renting local houses:
- Sometimes you’re expected to do some more of the minor maintenance yourself (not always though)
- Inventory of great rental houses that you want to live in can be limited
- You may have a higher deposit with a house over an apartment
- Rent is usually higher for a house of similar square footage vs. an apartment (because you’re paying for the other benefits of having a house mentioned above)
So, What Kind of Reno Nevada House Should You Start to Look At
In the end, I can’t say that local apartments are better than houses to rent or not.
It’s really down to your preference of what you want.
If you want more space and room to roam (without having to share walls with neighbors)… then renting a house will be the route you want to go.
If you’re looking for lots of options, a lower price, and extra amenities like a pool… take a look at the local apartments.