When it is time to move, most of us have to carefully thought out budget carefully. Until we get a handle on the moving costs, we can’t work up any kind of budget when you decided to relocate to Reno Nevada. There are of course a ton of smaller products that will contribute to the price. Things like boxes, bubble wrapping, tape, dollies, etc. These things a common know items that most people will use. The biggest part of your budget will go towards hire a moving company or renting a truck. There are online calculators you can use to help you calculate your moving budget. We put together this blog to help you determine your moving costs in Reno Nevada. This article is instead only to help you. Contact a moving professional or moving company to help you determine your moving budget.
We designed this website to be your one stop site for those looking to sell, buy or invest in real estate. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to us anytime. We work in all areas of Northern Nevada and will be happy to help or answer any of your questions. Or guide you on the proper direction. We are Northern Nevada Realtors here to help you succeed and make sure you avoid making any mistakes. Also, we post everyday to help answer most of your real estate related questions. Visit our Real Estate blog today for more helpful tips.
Evaluating Your Moving Costs in Reno Nevada
Variables That Affect Your Moving Costs
There are often moan variables that will factor into your cost of moving. Some of the main variables are:
- The quantity of possessions you are moving – both quantity and weight. You should know what to keep and what to toss before you move.
- How far you will be moving and is there an elevation change.
- Time of the year you move.
- The services that you want / need to move.
- If you plan on hiring professional movers to help you.
Full-service moving is what most people think of. It includes movers entering your home, loading your things onto the truck, then unloading it and bringing it to the destination home. Depending on the total distance – that is, local or long distance – and how many possessions you have, moving full-service can vary from as little as $550 to as much as $12,000.
A typical breakdown for your moving costs in Reno Nevada runs something like this:
- Basic Move, Local – $550 to $2,000
- Basic Move, Long Distance – $2,000 to $7,500
- Packing Service, Local – $30 to $60 per labor hour
- Packing Service, Long Distance – $500 to $4,000
- Moving Coverage, Local – Up to $8 per $1,000 in value covered
- Moving Coverage, Ling Distance – Up to $8 per $1,000 in value covered
Also bear in mind that full-service movers are doing much more than simply loading and unloading your boxes and furniture on and off the truck. So your time and effort savings can make the cost worth it. Consider if that if worth paying more to move.
Moving with PODS
Another moving alternative includes using moving PODS, which can costs less than moving full-service. These are moving and storage containers called PODS from the longer name of Portable on Demand Storage. It can be easier to evaluate your moving costs in Reno Nevada if you decided to use PODS because there can be fewer variables involved. Here’s a typical price breakdown:
- Container Cost, Local – $70 to $650
- Container Cost, Long Distance – $1,500 to $5,000
- Moving Coverage, Local – $35 to $475
- Moving Coverage, Long Distance – $35 to $475
You will need to load your belongings into the container yourself, of course, and then unload them, but that’s all you need to do. The driving will be taken care of for you. Still, it can be less expensive than a full-service moving company and more convenient than renting a truck.
Renting a Truck
If in evaluating your moving costs in Reno Nevada you want to go the cheapest but most labor intensive route, this is it – the DIY default move choice. Just be aware, though, that while trucks are fairly inexpensive and readily available, there are often extra fees that can drive up the cost. But here’s a fairly standard cost breakdown:
- Truck Rental, Local –$20 to $160
- Truck Rental, Long Distance – $500 to $1,700
- Cost Per Mile, Local – $0.69 to $0.79
- Cost Per Mile, Long Distance – Usually included
- Car Towing, Local – $130 to $350
- Car Towing, Long Distance – $130 to $350
- Deposit– Up to $150
- Fuel, Local – $5 to $20
- Fuel, Long Distance – $400 to $600
- Insurance– $400 to $600
While renting a truck is the cheapest way to travel, you need to consider the cost savings against the amount of labor you’re going to have to spend.
See What Your Agent Can Do
The cost of moving is the primary thing you’ll need to factor into evaluating your moving costs in Reno Nevada. But there are other, less immediately obvious costs you’ll need to figure into the equation. For example, is the cost of living higher where you will be living after the move? If so, that is the cost of moving that you will feel for years to come. In evaluating and dealing with all your moving costs, it might be a good idea to see what your agent can do – maybe even find you home where your paycheck will go further. Or recommend professionals that will help you find the best area for you. Hiring a Real Estate Agent in Reno Nevada that will help you along the entire process is key if you are planning on moving to Reno, Nevada.